In a 344-36 vote, the US House of Representatives voted to publicly condemn the United Nations Fact Finding Mission’s report on the Israeli invasion of the Gaza Strip, otherwise known as the Goldstone Report, and called on President Obama to block it from further consideration in the United Nations.
The report chided both Hamas and the Israeli government for attacks on civilians during the war, but was condemned by many in Congress as being unfair to Israel and the bill labels it “biased and unworthy of further consideration.”
Congressmen in opposition cautioned that the resolution damaged America’s credibility and could seriously harm the US role in the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.
South African Judge Richard Goldstone, the author of the report, has challenged the Obama Administration to point out any specific flaws with it. So far, officials have not made any specific accusations of factual errors in the report, but continue to blanketly declared it “unfair.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Struggles to Find Destinations for ISIS Detainees in Syria - July 18th, 2018
- Syrian Rebel City of Nawa Surrenders After Intense Airstrikes - July 18th, 2018
- Trump: Russia Doesn't Pose a Threat to US - July 18th, 2018
- Russia Urges UN to Mull Easing North Korea Sanctions Amid Diplomatic Progress - July 18th, 2018
- Israel Approves Jewish Nation-State Law in Narrow Vote - July 18th, 2018