The Obama Administration has lashed out at the Goldstone Report early and often since its release, condemning it as “one-sided,” “deeply flawed,” and “unfair.”
South African Judge Richard Goldstone, the author of the report, would like to know why, publicly challenging President Obama today to come up with some specific problems with the report.
The report successfully moved through the UN Human Rights Council last week, despite US opposition, and has been referred to the UN Security Council for consideration. The US has vowed to use its veto power in the Security Council to prevent the report from going any farther.
The Goldstone Report was heavily critical of both the Israeli and Hamas governments for their behavior during the war in the Gaza Strip, and accused both sides of war crimes. Israel refused to provide any official access to those working on the report, and has since accused Goldstone, a self-described Zionist, of being an “anti-semite.”
The US opposition so far has been without substantial particulars, and appears to be of the “Israel is our ally” variety all too common with recent administrations. It is unclear if officials will respond to Goldstone’s request for specific complaints.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Erdogan: Toxic Materials Found in Saudi Consulate - October 16th, 2018
- Trump Gives Saudi Arabia Benefit of Doubt in Journalist's Disappearance - October 16th, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills 60 Alleged al-Shabaab Fighters in Somalia, Officials Say - October 16th, 2018
- Syria Warns They'll Fight Jihadists If They Reject Idlib Deal - October 15th, 2018
- Scores of Taliban Killed in Afghanistan Fighting - October 15th, 2018