The US military isn’t the only one having a banner year for recruitment, according to officials a growing number of disillusioned people from Western nations are flocking to Pakistan and Afghanistan to attend terror training camps, despite an increasing number of US drone strikes on those camps and dubious claims of the success of those strikes.
One recent video underscoring the trend was from a group calling itself the “German Taliban Mujahideen.” The video showed German speakers who had gone to Pakistan and were urging all Muslims to travel to the region to join their cause.
The video also urged German soldiers serving in Afghanistan to abandon the ongoing war, cautioning that they could either leave by choice or “return individually in coffins from the occupied territories.”
Recruitment seems to be growing across all major Western nations, though exactly why this is the case is unclear as the war continues to be a very dangerous business for all involved, whether on the NATO side or in the insurgency.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017