Following the furore over last week’s surprisingly candid speech by Gen. Stanley McChrystal, in which he mocked Vice President Biden’s advice to Obama as a “recipe for Chaos-istan,” Secretary of Defense Robert Gates advised that everybody keep their mouth shut about what they wanted.
Ironically enough, the secretary wasn’t finished talking, as he then said the reason the Taliban was doing so well in the war was because the US hasn’t committed enough troops to Afghanistan, a nod to reports over the weekend that he was going to endorse the McChrystal Plan.
Though it is not unusual for civilian leaders to make their positions known, Gen. McChrystal has been unusually aggressive in lobbying for his escalation, and unusually willing to attack the advice of others.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- White House Lobbying to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill - June 22nd, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Advances $640 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 22nd, 2017