Following the furore over last week’s surprisingly candid speech by Gen. Stanley McChrystal, in which he mocked Vice President Biden’s advice to Obama as a “recipe for Chaos-istan,” Secretary of Defense Robert Gates advised that everybody keep their mouth shut about what they wanted.
Ironically enough, the secretary wasn’t finished talking, as he then said the reason the Taliban was doing so well in the war was because the US hasn’t committed enough troops to Afghanistan, a nod to reports over the weekend that he was going to endorse the McChrystal Plan.
Though it is not unusual for civilian leaders to make their positions known, Gen. McChrystal has been unusually aggressive in lobbying for his escalation, and unusually willing to attack the advice of others.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018