Following the furore over last week’s surprisingly candid speech by Gen. Stanley McChrystal, in which he mocked Vice President Biden’s advice to Obama as a “recipe for Chaos-istan,” Secretary of Defense Robert Gates advised that everybody keep their mouth shut about what they wanted.
Ironically enough, the secretary wasn’t finished talking, as he then said the reason the Taliban was doing so well in the war was because the US hasn’t committed enough troops to Afghanistan, a nod to reports over the weekend that he was going to endorse the McChrystal Plan.
Though it is not unusual for civilian leaders to make their positions known, Gen. McChrystal has been unusually aggressive in lobbying for his escalation, and unusually willing to attack the advice of others.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Gaza Ceasefire Largely Holding After Weekend Flareup - July 15th, 2018
- US Officials Say Trainer Policies May Change After Afghan Insider Attack - July 15th, 2018
- Israel Attacks Airbase Outside Northern Syrian City of Aleppo - July 15th, 2018
- Trump Lowers Expectations for Russia Summit - July 15th, 2018
- Afghan Civilian Deaths Hit Record High, Says UN - July 15th, 2018