Secretary's Endorsement Would Give McChrystal Plan a Boost
According to several administration officials, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates is inclined to endorse the massive escalation proposed by Gen. Stanley McChrystal.
Gen. McChrystal is reportedly seeking up to 45,000 additional troops for a long term continuation of the already eight year long war in Afghanistan. McChrystal has cautioned that the war will likely be lost if he isn’t given the troops.
President Obama has been delaying his decision on the request, and some of his top advisers, including long time war enthusiast Joe Biden, have suggested that throwing tens of thousands of additional ground troops at the war isn’t necessarily the wisest strategy, and are hoping instead to scale back their goals.
But Gen. McChrystal has rejected the notion of scaling back his ambitious war effort, and if he does ultimately get Secretary Gates on his side it could go a long way toward giving President Obama a justification for endorsing the plan.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Investigating Airstrike on Syria Mosque Which Killed 49 Civilians - March 21st, 2017
- Kurdish Infighting Brings Violence Back to Yazidi Heartland in Iraq - March 21st, 2017
- Senate Majority Leader Rejects Trump's Foreign Aid Cuts - March 21st, 2017
- Trump Aides Push for 'Broad Sanctions' Against North Korea - March 21st, 2017
- FBI's Russia Probe Turns Focus on Social Media Bots - March 21st, 2017