The Times of London is citing unnamed Western diplomats as saying that the deal between Israel and the West on the issue of Palestinian statehood is taking shape, and that Western officials are offering to back an Israeli attack on Iran in return for certain concessions, including the recognition of some of the Palestinians’ land claims.
Israeli forces have been moving into position to launch such an attack recently, and with the West publicly coming out in favor of a diplomatic rapprochement with Iran it seems incredible to learn that behind the scenes they are offering not only to turn a blind eye to a unilateral Israeli attack on Iran, but to openly endorse it.
Israel has repeatedly threatened to attack Iran, claiming the nation is covertly developing nuclear weapons. Iran denies the charge, and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) concedes that there is no evidence that Iran is actually seeking nuclear weapons.
The potential attack on Iran’s civilian nuclear program could create a dramatic anti-US backlash, according to Secretary of Defense Robert Gates. He cautioned that this would be the case whether or not the US was responsible for the attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Seeks to Negotiate a Broad Treaty With Iran - September 19th, 2018
- Despite Pledge Not to, Germany Approves Sale of Arms to Saudi Arabia - September 19th, 2018
- State Dept: ISIS, al-Qaeda Adapting After Recent Losses - September 19th, 2018
- Thousands Return Home in Northwest Syria After Deal Prevents Offensive - September 19th, 2018
- North, South Korea to Form Joint Military Committee - September 19th, 2018