The Government Accountability Office (GAO) has revealed a stunning lack of security at some of the federal government’s largest and most sensitive facilities. Investigators were able to penetrate all 10 facilities they tested, smugging live bomb components through security checkpoints manned by disinterested guards.
In one case, it took just 27 seconds to smuggle the components into a federal building. The bomb was then assembled in a bathroom, and the operative was able to walk through several floors of the building without being questioned once.
The Department of Homeland Security is ostensibly responsible for the security in the over 9,000 federal buildings across the United States. The buildings penetrated included DHS buildings, the State and Justice Department buildings, and the offices of a US Senator and a Congressman.
Sen. Lieberman (I – CT), who chairs the Homeland Security Committee investigating the findings, said it was “simply unacceptable,” and said it proved that people had “forgotten the lessons of 9/11.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: North Korea Will Release Three Detained Americans - March 18th, 2018
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018