Just one day after the Lebanese government announced the results of its elections, in which the Hezbollah-led opposition bloc was narrowly defeated, Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak criticized the United States for continuing to supply military aid to the Lebanese governcment.
The US has been supplying weapons and supplies to the Lebanese military for years, in an attempt to strengthen the Sunni-led government against the opposition. Hezbollah, though in the opposition, has kept its own private military force, with aid from Iran. The US had threatened to withdraw all aid to the country if the opposition was elected.
The comments were just the latest in a growing string of public disagreements between the US and Israeli governments. The Obama Administration has criticized Israel for refusing to halt settlement expansion, and today it was revealed that Israeli Minister Yossi Peled is urging the cabinet to enforce sanctions against the United States in retaliation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni al-Qaeda Denies Secret Deal With UAE - August 17th, 2018
- Afghan President Visits Ghazni to Declare Victory, but Fighting Is Ongoing - August 17th, 2018
- Bomb That Killed Scores of Children in Yemen Was US Supplied - August 17th, 2018
- US Redirects Syria Funds, Emphasizes It Is Not Withdrawing - August 17th, 2018
- Officials Worry Trump May Back Erik Prince Plan to 'Privatize' Afghan War - August 17th, 2018