While much has been made of the Obama Administration’s demands that the Israeli government stop all expansion of West Bank settlements, and the Israeli government’s public refusal to do so. Yet those waiting for the US to react to the continued defiance of its ally shouldn’t hold their breath.
State Department spokesman Robert Wood said today that despite previous reports the administration was considering “symbolic measures” against Israel, the US remains committed to Israel and will continue to “ensure that Israel is treated fairly at the United Nations.
Israeli sources agreed with that estimation, saying that the US had never threatened sanctions or any other punitive measures against Israel for its defiance. While there has been a lot of talk of US demands it appears that is all it will remain, talk.
The US has used its position as a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council to reject dozens of measures critical of the Israeli government’s assorted wars, and its treatment of Arab citizens. It has also vetoed bills calling for ceasefires during recent Israeli military offensives, to give the nation more time to launch attacks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Officials Warn Malistan District on the Verge of Collapse - November 12th, 2018
- Taliban Overrun West Afghanistan District, Killing 37 Police and Civilians - November 12th, 2018
- Taliban Slaughter Elite Afghan Troops, as 'Safe' District Is Falling - November 12th, 2018
- North Korea Warns US-South Korea Drills Violate Agreement - November 12th, 2018
- IAEA Report Shows Iran Continues to Honor Nuclear Deal - November 12th, 2018