According to a report by Israel’s Foreign Ministry, the South American nations of Venezuela and Bolivia are secretly supplying uranium for Iran’s nuclear program as part of a plan to “undermine” the US, which publicly objects to the civilian energy program.
The Venezuelan government has previously expressed support for Iran’s civilian nuclear program, which Israel has claimed is a front for a covert nuclear weapons program. There has been no evidence to support the assertion, but Israel has repeatedly threatened to attack Iran if it does not abandon the program.
The report claims massive Iranian infiltration of South and Central America however, dating back nearly three decades. The report accuses Iran of establishing Hezbollah cells in Venezuela as part of a remarkably convoluted strategy to “bring America to its knees.”
The report also accuses Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez of being in league with the Iranians, saying they had issued permits to allow Iranians to travel freely throughout South America. Relations between Israel and Venezuela have been strained since the former’s invasion of the Gaza Strip, during which the two nations expelled one anothers ambassadors.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkish Warplanes Pound Kurds, Thousands of Syrian Rebels Bused to Border - January 20th, 2018
- US Military's 'Prime Focus' Will Be Competing With Russia, China - January 19th, 2018
- NGO: US-Led Coalition Civilian Killings Tripled in Iraq and Syria in 2017 - January 19th, 2018
- Russia FM: US Creating 'Alternative Bodies of Authority' in Syria - January 19th, 2018
- US: Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds 'Destabilizing' - January 19th, 2018