Sources Say Either US or Israeli Vessel Responsible
An Iranian arms ship was reportedly attacked and sunk as it attempted to dock in Sudan last week, according to the Egyptian newspaper El-Aosboa. The details of the attack weren’t entirely clear, but Sudanese sources said the ship was torpedoed by either an American or Israeli vessel, and the arms ship was said to be attempting to smuggle weapons to the Gaza Strip.
This is not the first such attack against an arms smuggling operation. Last month, it was revealed that dozens of Israeli warplanes had launched an attack in January against a truck convoy in the Sudan, killing 39 and destroying several trucks. The Israeli government refused to confirm the attack, but US officials did.
Israeli officials have so far declined comment on the current situation, but one Egyptian security source was quoted in a Jordani paper as saying the attacking sub was “likely an Israeli” one, further raising tensions between the two nations.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Killing Far More Civilians in Syria Than They'll Admit - August 26th, 2016
- US, Russia Fail to Reach a Deal on Syria - August 26th, 2016
- US Continues to Cut Aid to Pakistan - August 26th, 2016
- PKK Bombs Turkish Police HQ in Southeast, Killing 11 - August 26th, 2016
- As Turkey Enters Syria, US Aims to Keep Them Happy - August 26th, 2016