Sources Say Either US or Israeli Vessel Responsible
An Iranian arms ship was reportedly attacked and sunk as it attempted to dock in Sudan last week, according to the Egyptian newspaper El-Aosboa. The details of the attack weren’t entirely clear, but Sudanese sources said the ship was torpedoed by either an American or Israeli vessel, and the arms ship was said to be attempting to smuggle weapons to the Gaza Strip.
This is not the first such attack against an arms smuggling operation. Last month, it was revealed that dozens of Israeli warplanes had launched an attack in January against a truck convoy in the Sudan, killing 39 and destroying several trucks. The Israeli government refused to confirm the attack, but US officials did.
Israeli officials have so far declined comment on the current situation, but one Egyptian security source was quoted in a Jordani paper as saying the attacking sub was “likely an Israeli” one, further raising tensions between the two nations.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Is Brexit the End of the United Kingdom? - June 24th, 2016
- Frexit? Talk of EU Withdrawal Votes in France, Netherlands, Italy - June 24th, 2016
- British PM David Cameron to Resign After EU Vote - June 24th, 2016
- Referendum: Britain Votes to Leave European Union - June 23rd, 2016
- Iraqi Troops Remain in Central Fallujah as ISIS holds North and West - June 23rd, 2016