Mehsud Promises to "Take Revenge" in Washington
Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) chief Baitullah Mehsud today claimed credit for yesterday’s Lahore attack, saying the attack was retaliation for the repeated US drone strikes in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA).
Perhaps even more ominously, Mehsud vowed to “take revenge from America,” adding that it would not be in Afghanistan, but in Washington. The TTP leader said “soon we will launch an attack in Washington that will amaze everyone in the world… The maximum they can do is martyr me.”
The Obama Administration has launched an ever growing number of attacks in the FATA, generally aimed at Mehsud’s training facilities in North and South Waziristan. In September, then-CIA Director Michael Hayden said the attacks were an attempt to “provoke a reaction” from the militant groups led by Mehsud. It appears that now, six months later, they have finally done so.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Six US Warplanes En Route to Baltics - March 6th, 2014
- Russian FM: Still No Agreement With US on Ukraine - March 6th, 2014
- US, EU Unveil Travel Ban on Russians, Threaten Sanctions - March 6th, 2014
- Syria to Miss Deadline on Destroying Chemical Weapons Sites - March 6th, 2014
- Battles Escalate, Spanning Borders at Syria-Lebanon Frontier - March 6th, 2014