Mehsud Promises to "Take Revenge" in Washington
Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) chief Baitullah Mehsud today claimed credit for yesterday’s Lahore attack, saying the attack was retaliation for the repeated US drone strikes in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA).
Perhaps even more ominously, Mehsud vowed to “take revenge from America,” adding that it would not be in Afghanistan, but in Washington. The TTP leader said “soon we will launch an attack in Washington that will amaze everyone in the world… The maximum they can do is martyr me.”
The Obama Administration has launched an ever growing number of attacks in the FATA, generally aimed at Mehsud’s training facilities in North and South Waziristan. In September, then-CIA Director Michael Hayden said the attacks were an attempt to “provoke a reaction” from the militant groups led by Mehsud. It appears that now, six months later, they have finally done so.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine Peace Talks Fail: Both Sides Trade Blame - January 31st, 2015
- NATO Plans to Open Georgia Training Center by Year's End - January 30th, 2015
- US Denies Israeli Claims About Iran Nuclear Negotiations - January 30th, 2015
- Yemeni Al-Qaeda Gains Support From Local Tribes - January 30th, 2015
- Jordan Threatens Mass Executions of ISIS Prisoners - January 30th, 2015