Intelligence Reports Alleged Iranian Operative in Sudan Coordinated Efforts
US officials have confirmed today that the attack against a convoy of trucks in Sudan was in fact carried out by Israeli warplanes. The attack destroyed the entire convoy, killing 39 people. Israeli officials had declined to confirm the attack, though Prime Minister Olmert used the report to underscore Israel’s ability to launch attacks on targets “anywhere.”
The officials, citing classified intelligence, claimed that there had been intelligence reports that an operative from Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps was in Sudan at the time, coordinating the effort to smuggle weapons into the Gaza Strip.
The Sudanese government had kept quiet about the attack for months as an apparent attempt to save face at their inability to stop or even determine who had launched the attack. A government spokesman today claimed the attack “was a genocide, committed by US forces,” and put the death toll at over 100.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey: Kurds Joining Raqqa Offensive Wound Endanger Syria's Future - September 27th, 2016
- Bill Introduced to Prohibit US First Use of Nuclear Weapons - September 27th, 2016
- MSF: No Legitimate Reason for Saudi Attacks on Yemen Hospitals - September 27th, 2016
- Syrian Troops Invade Nusra Front-Held Aleppo, Seize Key District - September 27th, 2016
- Infiltrators Kill 13 Afghan Soldiers in Their Sleep - September 27th, 2016