Intelligence Reports Alleged Iranian Operative in Sudan Coordinated Efforts
US officials have confirmed today that the attack against a convoy of trucks in Sudan was in fact carried out by Israeli warplanes. The attack destroyed the entire convoy, killing 39 people. Israeli officials had declined to confirm the attack, though Prime Minister Olmert used the report to underscore Israel’s ability to launch attacks on targets “anywhere.”
The officials, citing classified intelligence, claimed that there had been intelligence reports that an operative from Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps was in Sudan at the time, coordinating the effort to smuggle weapons into the Gaza Strip.
The Sudanese government had kept quiet about the attack for months as an apparent attempt to save face at their inability to stop or even determine who had launched the attack. A government spokesman today claimed the attack “was a genocide, committed by US forces,” and put the death toll at over 100.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel 'Alarmed' by al-Qaeda Presence on Syria Border - September 2nd, 2014
- Boko Haram Attacks, Nigeria Friendly Fire Kills Scores - September 2nd, 2014
- UN Negotiating With al-Qaeda on Release of Fiji Troops - September 2nd, 2014
- More US Troops Headed to Iraq; Senate Bill Would Expand War to Syria - September 2nd, 2014
- Afghan Army's Extrajudicial Killings Could Force End to US Aid - September 2nd, 2014