Intelligence Reports Alleged Iranian Operative in Sudan Coordinated Efforts
US officials have confirmed today that the attack against a convoy of trucks in Sudan was in fact carried out by Israeli warplanes. The attack destroyed the entire convoy, killing 39 people. Israeli officials had declined to confirm the attack, though Prime Minister Olmert used the report to underscore Israel’s ability to launch attacks on targets “anywhere.”
The officials, citing classified intelligence, claimed that there had been intelligence reports that an operative from Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps was in Sudan at the time, coordinating the effort to smuggle weapons into the Gaza Strip.
The Sudanese government had kept quiet about the attack for months as an apparent attempt to save face at their inability to stop or even determine who had launched the attack. A government spokesman today claimed the attack “was a genocide, committed by US forces,” and put the death toll at over 100.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Withdraws Negotiators as Gaza Ceasefire Ends - August 19th, 2014
- Ferguson Police Provoke Escalation of Violence - August 19th, 2014
- No Curfew, But Police Escalate Ferguson Crackdown - August 18th, 2014
- ISIS Claims Dozens of Kurds Killed in Latest Fighting - August 18th, 2014
- ISIS Threatens Retaliation Against Americans as US Airstrikes Grow - August 18th, 2014