Cleric Maulvi Noor Muhammad, the influential Quetta cleric and supporter of the opposition Muttahida Mujils-e Amal (MMA) party, warned today that the expansion of the US air campaign into the Balochistan Province would justify a jihad (holy war) against them.
“America is trying to scare us but it won’t work. Rather it will be a justification,” warns Muhammad. Attacks in Quetta would be “foolish,” according to the cleric, “because it will only force more people here to stand up against” the United States.
President Obama has been launching an enormous number of attacks in Pakistan’s Federally Administered Tribal Areas, and has been under pressure to expand the strikes into Balochistan. Officials say that a growing number of militants are taking refuge in and around the capital city of Quetta.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Announces US Will Withdraw From Intermediate Nuclear Forces Treaty - October 21st, 2018
- Trump Cites Saudi Deception of Khashoggi, But Defends 'Strong' Crown Prince - October 21st, 2018
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018