A US drone attacked two vehicles in South Waziristan today, killing eight alleged militants. At least four of them were reportedly foreigners, according to Pakistani officials. Three others were also injured in the attack.
It was the first such attack in a little over a week: a week ago Sunday a missile strike killed five in North Waziristan. Since taking office, President Obama has dramatically escalated the number of drone attacks along the Pakistani border, damaging the government’s credibility in the tribal areas.
And yet, this attack too was confined to Pakistan’s Federally Administered Tribal Areas. Last week officials were reported to be pressuring the president to expand the attacks even further, targeting the major city of Quetta, capital of the Balochistan Province. So far, however, no attacks in Balochistan have been reported.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Candidate Killed by Bomb Under His Office Chair - October 17th, 2018
- Trump: US Won't 'Walk Away From Saudi Arabia' - October 17th, 2018
- Report: Saudis Dismembered Journalist While He Was Still Alive, Audio Recording Shows - October 17th, 2018
- Israeli Ambassador to France Slammed for Attempt to Censor News - October 16th, 2018
- Suspects in Journalist's Disappearance Linked to Saudi Crown Prince - October 16th, 2018