Afghan President Hamid Karzai says that he will announce whether or not he intends to run for another term soon, though it is widely assumed that the incumbent will in fact run and the opposition has already pressured him to resign instead of facing a campaign against a sitting president.
Karzai also had a few words of warning for the international community as the elections loom later this year: declaring that Afghanistan is not and will never be a puppet state. Karzai has warned them not to meddle in the nation’s politics, adding “that is not their job.”
Karzai has made a growing number of enemies in the west with his loud criticism of the behavior of international forces in Afghanistan, and the Obama Administration is reportedly eager to see him ousted. So far no one candidate has emerged as a clear front-runner to replace him in the vote.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Bolton Appointment Looms Large, But Actual Policy Impact Still Unclear - March 23rd, 2018
- Scores of Civilians Killed in Eastern Ghouta Attack - March 23rd, 2018
- Ceasefire Announced for Part of Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 22nd, 2018
- Turkey Will Expel All Kurds From Border Unless Deal Reached With US - March 22nd, 2018
- Pentagon: Nukes Will Be Useless Without New Plutonium Cores - March 22nd, 2018