Just days after President Obama spoke in an interview of reaching out to moderate Taliban in an effort to reconcile at least some aspects of the growing insurgency with the faltering Afghan government, reports are emerging that his administration is planning to dramatically escalate their attacks against Taliban targets in neighboring Pakistan.
One diplomat was quoted by the Telegraph as saying “there will be talks but the Taliban are going to experience a lot of pain first, on both sides of the border.”
The Obama Administration has escalated the number and severity of drone attacks since taking office, in spite of concerns from Pakistani officials that the attacks are increasingly destabilizing the already unstable nation. Though the Pakistani government has continued to complain about the drone strikes, there is an increasing amount of evidence that they have been directly backing them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Fighters Kill 22 Syrian Troops Near Idlib - November 16th, 2018
- US Opposes UNGA Resolution Calling on Israel to Return Golan Heights - November 16th, 2018
- US to Accuse Iran of Capacity to Violate Chemical Weapons Ban - November 16th, 2018
- Israel Coalition Falters as Netanyahu Takes Top Positions - November 16th, 2018
- Report: CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi's Murder - November 16th, 2018