Just days after President Obama spoke in an interview of reaching out to moderate Taliban in an effort to reconcile at least some aspects of the growing insurgency with the faltering Afghan government, reports are emerging that his administration is planning to dramatically escalate their attacks against Taliban targets in neighboring Pakistan.
One diplomat was quoted by the Telegraph as saying “there will be talks but the Taliban are going to experience a lot of pain first, on both sides of the border.”
The Obama Administration has escalated the number and severity of drone attacks since taking office, in spite of concerns from Pakistani officials that the attacks are increasingly destabilizing the already unstable nation. Though the Pakistani government has continued to complain about the drone strikes, there is an increasing amount of evidence that they have been directly backing them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Car Bombs Hit Mosque in Libya's Benghazi, Killing Dozens - January 23rd, 2018
- Turkey Arrests Scores for Opposing Invasion of Syria - January 23rd, 2018
- Turkey Claims to Have Killed 260 Fighters in Syria's Afrin District - January 23rd, 2018
- Pentagon-Funded Afghan Units Involved in Gross Human Rights Abuses - January 23rd, 2018
- US Claims to Kill 150 ISIS Fighters in East Syria Airstrike - January 23rd, 2018