Speaking at an Israeli cabinet meeting today, Military Intelligence chief Major-General Amos Yadlin declared that Iran “has crossed the technological threshold, so that reaching a military nuclear ability is only a matter of matching the strategy to the goal of creating a nuclear bomb.”
The claim comes in spite of comments from US Defense Secretary Robert Gates that “they’re not close to a weapon at this point,” and very clear comments last month from the IAEA that Iran did not have the technological capability to create a nuclear weapon, nor were they diverting any of their uranium to any such purpose.
Maj.-Gen. Yadlin’s claims, and the resulting conclusion in the Israeli media that this signals Iran crossing “the point of no return” come ominously on the heels of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy (WINEP) warning that the Israeli government was seriously considering launching an attack on Iran.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Gaza Ceasefire Largely Holding After Weekend Flareup - July 15th, 2018
- US Officials Say Trainer Policies May Change After Afghan Insider Attack - July 15th, 2018
- Israel Attacks Airbase Outside Northern Syrian City of Aleppo - July 15th, 2018
- Trump Lowers Expectations for Russia Summit - July 15th, 2018
- Afghan Civilian Deaths Hit Record High, Says UN - July 15th, 2018