Reports have persisted for weeks that North Korea is preparing a test-fire of a long-range missile, potentially over Japan. Though North Korea says that it is actually planning to launch a communication satellite into orbit, the US sees that as cover for a missile test, and is preparing to respond.
Now it seems that response might not be restricted to the always-threatened talk of additional sanctions against the nation. ABC News quotes Pacific Command head Admiral Timothy Keating as saying the military is prepared to shoot the missile down if the president orders it.
Despite US warnings against the North Korean government not to act provocatively, the act of destroying a test missile seems at least as provocative as firing one, and with North Korea saying they are ready for war such a move would likely further harm relations between the two nations.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Fighters Kill 22 Syrian Troops Near Idlib - November 16th, 2018
- US Opposes UNGA Resolution Calling on Israel to Return Golan Heights - November 16th, 2018
- US to Accuse Iran of Capacity to Violate Chemical Weapons Ban - November 16th, 2018
- Israel Coalition Falters as Netanyahu Takes Top Positions - November 16th, 2018
- Report: CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi's Murder - November 16th, 2018