Reports have persisted for weeks that North Korea is preparing a test-fire of a long-range missile, potentially over Japan. Though North Korea says that it is actually planning to launch a communication satellite into orbit, the US sees that as cover for a missile test, and is preparing to respond.
Now it seems that response might not be restricted to the always-threatened talk of additional sanctions against the nation. ABC News quotes Pacific Command head Admiral Timothy Keating as saying the military is prepared to shoot the missile down if the president orders it.
Despite US warnings against the North Korean government not to act provocatively, the act of destroying a test missile seems at least as provocative as firing one, and with North Korea saying they are ready for war such a move would likely further harm relations between the two nations.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017