Reports have persisted for weeks that North Korea is preparing a test-fire of a long-range missile, potentially over Japan. Though North Korea says that it is actually planning to launch a communication satellite into orbit, the US sees that as cover for a missile test, and is preparing to respond.
Now it seems that response might not be restricted to the always-threatened talk of additional sanctions against the nation. ABC News quotes Pacific Command head Admiral Timothy Keating as saying the military is prepared to shoot the missile down if the president orders it.
Despite US warnings against the North Korean government not to act provocatively, the act of destroying a test missile seems at least as provocative as firing one, and with North Korea saying they are ready for war such a move would likely further harm relations between the two nations.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Says 36 ISIS Killed in Thursday's Syria Strike - April 22nd, 2018
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018
- Iran Vows 'Vigorous' Enrichment of Uranium if US Quits Nuclear Deal - April 22nd, 2018
- Syrian Forces Advance into Islamist-Held Area South of Damascus - April 22nd, 2018
- Chemical Inspectors Complete Visit to Syria's Douma - April 22nd, 2018