US military officials confirmed today that more than 70 military advisers have been secretly working with Pakistan’s military as part of a “secret task force” training the Pakistani army and paramilitaries, as well as providing them with intelligence.
The program appears to have been running concurrently with a previously announced training program, which involved only the training of army instructors who would then be responsible for training Pakistani paramilitary forces. The secret program appears to have been much broader and involved direct training of forces as well as advisory roles.
The operation, overseen by both CENTCOM and SOCOM, also seems to have been ongoing even as the Pakistani government publicly spurned the offer for US training in protest of US air strikes which killed several members of the paramilitary Frontier Corps.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- North Korea 'Threat' to Guam Greatly Overblown - August 15th, 2017
- South Korean President Says He Can Veto War Against North Korea - August 15th, 2017
- ICC Issues Warrant for Ally of Libyan Gen. Hafter for War Crimes - August 15th, 2017
- Taliban Open Letter Urges Trump to Withdraw US Troops From Afghanistan - August 15th, 2017
- Iran Threatens to Quit Nuclear Deal If US Keeps Adding Sanctions - August 15th, 2017