US military officials confirmed today that more than 70 military advisers have been secretly working with Pakistan’s military as part of a “secret task force” training the Pakistani army and paramilitaries, as well as providing them with intelligence.
The program appears to have been running concurrently with a previously announced training program, which involved only the training of army instructors who would then be responsible for training Pakistani paramilitary forces. The secret program appears to have been much broader and involved direct training of forces as well as advisory roles.
The operation, overseen by both CENTCOM and SOCOM, also seems to have been ongoing even as the Pakistani government publicly spurned the offer for US training in protest of US air strikes which killed several members of the paramilitary Frontier Corps.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017
- Bahrain Accuses Qatar of Seeking 'Military Escalation' - June 26th, 2017
- White House Appears to Be Planning Attack on Assad - June 26th, 2017
- Top Senator Blocks Gulf Arms Sales Over Qatar Crisis - June 26th, 2017
- UAE's Military Buildup Faces New Scrutiny Amid Yemen Torture Scandal - June 26th, 2017