Reports have been swirling around for the past several days that the United States has been holding high-level but discreet talks with Iran even as the Obama Administration has publicly dismissed rumors of any official efforts to improve relations. Now, Iran too is denying that any contact is ongoing.
“I have had no official or unofficial talks with Americans,” insists top Ahmadinejad aide Mojtaba Samareh-Hashemi, though he did acknowledge attending some meetings with people from several western nations in an unofficial capacity.
Parliament speaker Ali Larijani, who will be attending the international security conference held this weekend in Munich, says so far his government has seen no “new approach” from the Obama Administration, and has no plans to hold talks with any US representatives during the conference.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Mattis: ISIS Leader Baghdadi Still Alive - July 21st, 2017
- Syrian Jihadists Reach Truce Deal After Week of Infighting - July 21st, 2017
- North Korea Snubs South's Offer of Military Talks - July 21st, 2017
- US Withholds Money Owed to Pakistan Over Haqqani Network - July 21st, 2017
- Top US General Told Kurdish YPG to 'Change Its Brand' - July 21st, 2017