Reports have been swirling around for the past several days that the United States has been holding high-level but discreet talks with Iran even as the Obama Administration has publicly dismissed rumors of any official efforts to improve relations. Now, Iran too is denying that any contact is ongoing.
“I have had no official or unofficial talks with Americans,” insists top Ahmadinejad aide Mojtaba Samareh-Hashemi, though he did acknowledge attending some meetings with people from several western nations in an unofficial capacity.
Parliament speaker Ali Larijani, who will be attending the international security conference held this weekend in Munich, says so far his government has seen no “new approach” from the Obama Administration, and has no plans to hold talks with any US representatives during the conference.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Civilians Leave ISIS-Area in Eastern Syria After Evacuation Deal - September 22nd, 2017
- Catalonia Closes Ranks as Outrage over Crackdown Grows - September 22nd, 2017
- Spanish Prosecutors Formally Accuse Catalan Separatists of Sedition - September 22nd, 2017
- Thousands More Spanish Police Arrive for Catalonia Crackdown - September 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Bomb Killed 16 Civilians in Yemen's Capital - September 22nd, 2017