Reports have been swirling around for the past several days that the United States has been holding high-level but discreet talks with Iran even as the Obama Administration has publicly dismissed rumors of any official efforts to improve relations. Now, Iran too is denying that any contact is ongoing.
“I have had no official or unofficial talks with Americans,” insists top Ahmadinejad aide Mojtaba Samareh-Hashemi, though he did acknowledge attending some meetings with people from several western nations in an unofficial capacity.
Parliament speaker Ali Larijani, who will be attending the international security conference held this weekend in Munich, says so far his government has seen no “new approach” from the Obama Administration, and has no plans to hold talks with any US representatives during the conference.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Claims 14,000 Troops in Afghanistan, Surge 'Completed' - November 19th, 2017
- US War Zone Deaths Rising for First Time in Six Years - November 19th, 2017
- Afghan Army Recruitment Dwindles Amid Taliban Threats - November 19th, 2017
- US Quietly Builds Up Troops in Somalia - November 19th, 2017
- Palestinians Will Suspend US Ties If Trump Closes PLO Office - November 19th, 2017