Reports have been swirling around for the past several days that the United States has been holding high-level but discreet talks with Iran even as the Obama Administration has publicly dismissed rumors of any official efforts to improve relations. Now, Iran too is denying that any contact is ongoing.
“I have had no official or unofficial talks with Americans,” insists top Ahmadinejad aide Mojtaba Samareh-Hashemi, though he did acknowledge attending some meetings with people from several western nations in an unofficial capacity.
Parliament speaker Ali Larijani, who will be attending the international security conference held this weekend in Munich, says so far his government has seen no “new approach” from the Obama Administration, and has no plans to hold talks with any US representatives during the conference.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Two Koreas Meet Again With UN on Border Disarmament - October 21st, 2018
- US Denies Killing Syrian Civilians, Says Mosque Was 'Valid Military Target' - October 21st, 2018
- Security Woes, Irregularities Mar Afghanistan's Second Day of Voting - October 21st, 2018
- US General Wounded During Thursday Insider Attack in Afghanistan - October 21st, 2018
- Saudi FM: We Don't Know How Khashoggi Was Killed - October 21st, 2018