US drones loomed large in the skies over North Waziristan today, flying over villages and sewing panic in a region which has seen scores of residents killed in attacks by those drones over the past few months. On Friday similar drones killed 22 people, including several children.
Secretary of Defense Robert Gates told the Senate today that it is the Obama Administration’s intention to continue the attacks, in spite of the repeatedly objection of the Pakistani government. When asked, Gates also confirmed that the Pakistani government had been informed of the plan to continue the attacks.
The government has refused to comment directly on its individual attacks, but officials seem almost universal in their agreement that the Bush era practice of unilateral strikes on the territory of an ally should continue, no matter how much relations with that ally are harmed by them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017