Israeli Envoy Brags of "Thwarting An Attempt to Act Against Us"
An attempt by the British government and other members of the United Nations Security Council to condemn Israel’s attack on the United Nations Relief and Works Agency headquarters in the Gaza Strip was foiled today, after Israel found out about the attempt and demanded United States ambassadors prevent it.
According to Israel’s Deputy Ambassador to the United Nations Danny Carmon “this is the first time we have succeeded in thwarting an attempt to act against us thanks to reliable firsthand information received from the Foreign Ministry and the IDF.”
European Union ambassadors called the meeting following the attacks, but the Israeli diplomats alerted the United States to it and the later prevented the council from achieving a resolution. Instead, Security Council President Jean-Maurice Ripert made a speech calling for both sides to stop fighting.
The attack on the compound destroyed several tons of food and fuel aid intended for Gaza’s civilian population and injured three aid workers. The United States has stymied several attempts by the United Nations Security Council to bring an end to the fighting in the Gaza Strip. Perceived Israeli influence over US policies was brought to the fore this week when Prime Minister Ehud Olmert claimed to have ordered President Bush to abstain from voting on a Friday vote on a Gaza ceasefire.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Germany Demands Trump Clarify His Foreign Policy Agenda - January 18th, 2017
- Syria Opposes Qatar, Saudi Arabia Participating in Peace Talks - January 18th, 2017
- Turkey, Russia Launch Joint Airstrikes Against ISIS in Northern Syria - January 18th, 2017
- Rep. Gabbard Visits Damascus on Unannounced Syria Trip - January 18th, 2017
- Assange Agrees To Go to US if His Rights Are Guaranteed - January 18th, 2017