Israeli Envoy Brags of "Thwarting An Attempt to Act Against Us"
An attempt by the British government and other members of the United Nations Security Council to condemn Israel’s attack on the United Nations Relief and Works Agency headquarters in the Gaza Strip was foiled today, after Israel found out about the attempt and demanded United States ambassadors prevent it.
According to Israel’s Deputy Ambassador to the United Nations Danny Carmon “this is the first time we have succeeded in thwarting an attempt to act against us thanks to reliable firsthand information received from the Foreign Ministry and the IDF.”
European Union ambassadors called the meeting following the attacks, but the Israeli diplomats alerted the United States to it and the later prevented the council from achieving a resolution. Instead, Security Council President Jean-Maurice Ripert made a speech calling for both sides to stop fighting.
The attack on the compound destroyed several tons of food and fuel aid intended for Gaza’s civilian population and injured three aid workers. The United States has stymied several attempts by the United Nations Security Council to bring an end to the fighting in the Gaza Strip. Perceived Israeli influence over US policies was brought to the fore this week when Prime Minister Ehud Olmert claimed to have ordered President Bush to abstain from voting on a Friday vote on a Gaza ceasefire.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- North Korea Ballistic Missile Test Fails - April 28th, 2017
- South Korea Rejects Trump's Demand They Pay for Missile Defense - April 28th, 2017
- Pentagon: US Army Rangers May Have Been Killed by 'Friendly Fire' in Afghanistan - April 28th, 2017
- Trump: Absolutely a Chance for Major, Major War With North Korea - April 28th, 2017
- Report: Deaths of Afghan Women up 54% Over Previous Year - April 27th, 2017