US Insists Only Militants Were Killed
According to Afghan President Hamid Karzai “during a coalition operation, 17 civilians including women and children were killed among militants in Laghman province.” The United States has denied the claim, insisting that only militants were killed in the attack on the Taliban’s roadside bomb network.
Karzai has repeatedly criticized the US-led international forces for killing large numbers of civilians in their military operations. He has said he believes the international forces’ unilateral actions harm the legitimacy of the Afghan government in the minds of the nation’s civilian populace.
The deaths would be the first significant incident of international forces killing Afghan civilians in 2009. Such incidents were rampant in 2008, and the US traditionally has denied reports of civilian deaths for long periods after such incidents.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Attacks Gaza's Only Power Plant, Knocking Out Power for a Year - July 29th, 2014
- 43% of Afghan Military's Weapons Unaccounted For - July 28th, 2014
- US Accuses Russia of Violating 1987 Nuclear Treaty - July 28th, 2014
- Netanyahu Vows Lengthy Campaign Against Gaza - July 28th, 2014
- Heavy Fighting: Ukraine Attacks Areas Around MH17 Crash Site - July 28th, 2014