Foreign Ministry Says Cardinal's Comments 'Based on Hamas Propaganda'
Echoing Pope Benedict XVI’s repeated calls to end the ongoing bloodshed in the Gaza Strip, Vatican Justice and Peace Minister Cardinal Renato Martino urged both the Israeli government and Hamas to show more willingness toward peace talks and for the world to help them come an agreement that would end the ongoing Israeli invasion.
He also expressed concerns about the dire humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip, saying “let’s look at the conditions in Gaza: these increasingly resemble a big concentration camp.”
Israel, as has been so often the case as the international community condemns the situation in Gaza, is outraged. The Foreign Ministry accused the Cardinal of making comments “based on Hamas propaganda” and likewise slammed him for “ignoring its numerous crimes,” even though he explicitly called for both sides to end their attacks. He said the Cardinal’s comments would not “bring the people closer to truth and peace.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- After Brawl, Turkish Committee Votes to End Opposition MPs' Legal Immunity - May 3rd, 2016
- US Military Aid to Israel Stalled Over Questions of Israel-Made Arms - May 3rd, 2016
- Syrian Rebels Pound Aleppo Hospital, Killing 19 Civilians - May 3rd, 2016
- Watchdog: Worrying Signs ISIS Producing Chemical Weapons - May 3rd, 2016
- ISIS Kills US Navy SEAL, Overruns Northern Iraq Town - May 3rd, 2016