Foreign Ministry Says Cardinal's Comments 'Based on Hamas Propaganda'
Echoing Pope Benedict XVI’s repeated calls to end the ongoing bloodshed in the Gaza Strip, Vatican Justice and Peace Minister Cardinal Renato Martino urged both the Israeli government and Hamas to show more willingness toward peace talks and for the world to help them come an agreement that would end the ongoing Israeli invasion.
He also expressed concerns about the dire humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip, saying “let’s look at the conditions in Gaza: these increasingly resemble a big concentration camp.”
Israel, as has been so often the case as the international community condemns the situation in Gaza, is outraged. The Foreign Ministry accused the Cardinal of making comments “based on Hamas propaganda” and likewise slammed him for “ignoring its numerous crimes,” even though he explicitly called for both sides to end their attacks. He said the Cardinal’s comments would not “bring the people closer to truth and peace.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia Extends Aleppo Ceasefire, Hasn't Struck in Nine Days - October 25th, 2016
- FM: Turkey May Invade Iraq If Threatened - October 25th, 2016
- Duterte Wants US Troops Out of the Philippines - October 25th, 2016
- 18 Months In, Saudis Deny Yemen Naval Blockade Is Even Happening - October 25th, 2016
- NATO Seeks More Troops in Continued Eastern Europe Buildup - October 25th, 2016