It’s the second day of the new year and the United States has launched its second attack in South Waziristan. Tribal sources had been reporting two US drones hovering over the area of Ladha Tehsil, in South Waziristan Agency, before the attack.
The two Hellfire missiles fired in the attack killed four militants and injured three other. One of the missiles struck a girls’ school run by the Pakistani government, while the other hit a nearby car apparently owned by the militants. The school, like many in the tribal areas of Pakistan, had been closed by the cash-poor government.
Yesterday, another attack in South Waziristan killed five people and injured an unknown number of others. Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmoud Qureshi repeated his call for the US to stop the cross border attacks. US drones have been launching such attacks for months, killing scores of militants and civilians alike in North and South Waziristan.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: Lebanese PM Leaves Saudi Arabia for France - November 17th, 2017
- Erdogan: Syria's Afrin District Must Be Cleansed of Kurdish Forces - November 17th, 2017
- Pentagon: ISIS 'Defeated' But US Will Stay in Syria - November 17th, 2017
- Iraq Captures 'Last' ISIS Town of Rawa - November 17th, 2017
- North Korea: No Negotiations If US Military Drills Continue - November 17th, 2017