It’s the second day of the new year and the United States has launched its second attack in South Waziristan. Tribal sources had been reporting two US drones hovering over the area of Ladha Tehsil, in South Waziristan Agency, before the attack.
The two Hellfire missiles fired in the attack killed four militants and injured three other. One of the missiles struck a girls’ school run by the Pakistani government, while the other hit a nearby car apparently owned by the militants. The school, like many in the tribal areas of Pakistan, had been closed by the cash-poor government.
Yesterday, another attack in South Waziristan killed five people and injured an unknown number of others. Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmoud Qureshi repeated his call for the US to stop the cross border attacks. US drones have been launching such attacks for months, killing scores of militants and civilians alike in North and South Waziristan.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018