Sources are reporting that President-elect Barack Obama’s appointee for US ambassador to the United Nations Dr. Susan Rice, after a visit to the State Department headquarters, plans to install her own transition team, independent of incoming Secretary of State Sen. Hillary Clinton’s, in the department.
Obama’s plans to promote the post to a cabinet level position have been seen primarily as a symbolic move to improve relations with the international community after 8 years of Bush Administration unilateralism. Yet the former Assistant Secretary of State under the Clinton Administration seems to want to assert herself in the State Department, even if it means stepping on Sen. Clinton’s toes.
Dr. Rice has publicly pressed Congress to authorize the use of military force in Darfur. Just how much influence she will have in the Obama Administration remains to be seen, but as a top adviser for the Obama campaign she is liable to have his ear on most foreign policy matters.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Foreign ISIS Fighters Left in Raqqa Face 'Certain Death' - October 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Vehicles Led Iraqi Invasion of Kurdish Town - October 22nd, 2017
- Niger Ambush Serves as Excuse for AFRICOM to Seek More Funds - October 22nd, 2017
- Catalan Leaders Vow to Resist Spain's Attempted Takeover - October 22nd, 2017
- Spain Seeks Huge Power Transfer in Trying to Oust Catalan Leadership - October 22nd, 2017