US Marines Board Iranian-Flagged Tanker in Gulf of Oman

CENTCOM said US forces released the ship after 'directing the ship's crew to alter course'

US Central Command said on Wednesday that its forces boarded an Iranian-flagged oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman as the US continues to enforce a blockade on Iranian ports.

CENTCOM said that Marines from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit boarded the Celestial Sea because it was suspected of “attempting to violate the US blockade by transiting toward an Iranian port.” The command said the Marines released the vessel after “searching and directing the ship’s crew to alter course.”

Video of US forces boarding the ship released by CENTCOM

CENTCOM added that US forces “continue to fully enforce the blockade” and claimed that it has “redirected 91 commercial ships to ensure compliance.”

US forces have attacked and disabled at least four commercial ships in the region in recent weeks, and CENTCOM said in early May that it destroyed six Iranian IRGC attack boats, though Iranian media said the US actually destroyed two small cargo vessels traveling between Oman and Iran and that the attack killed five civilians.

The US has also seized several vessels that were carrying Iranian oil in the Indian Ocean. President Trump has previously said the US was acting “like pirates” in its enforcement of the blockade, affirming Iran’s characterization of the US actions.

“We took over the cargo, took over the oil. It’s a very profitable business. Who would have thought we were doing that? We’re like pirates. We’re like pirates. We’re sort of like pirates, but we’re not playing games,” he said on May 2.

Dave DeCamp is the news editor of Antiwar.com, follow him on Twitter @decampdave.

Join the Discussion!

We welcome thoughtful and respectful comments. Hateful language, illegal content, or attacks against Antiwar.com will be removed.

For more details, please see our Comment Policy.