Three Reported Killed in US Airstrikes on Water Infrastructure in Yemen

The US bombed several areas of Yemen on Tuesday

US airstrikes on Yemen’s Hodeidah province hit a water management building and killed at least three people, the Yemeni Health Ministry said on Tuesday.

“The American attack, which targeted the water management building in the district of al-Mansouriyah in the governorate of Hodeida with several strikes on Tuesday resulted in three deaths and two injuries, mostly employees,” said Health Ministry spokesman Anees Alasbahi, according to AFP.

Local Yemeni media reported earlier that the US targeted multiple areas in Houthi-controlled Yemen, where 80% of Yemenis live, and hit water infrastructure in Hodeidah, which is located on the Red Sea. Yemen’s SABA news agency also reported US airstrikes on the northern provinces of Saada and Hajjah.

Water infrastructure was a major target of the US-backed Saudi-UAE coalition’s bombs when it waged war against the Houthis in Yemen from 2015 to 2022, causing the largest cholera outbreak in recent history. In 2018, the US-backed coalition bombed a cholera treatment facility run by Doctors Without Borders.

The US’s current bombing campaign has also taken a heavy toll on civilians, with at least 25 being killed in just the first week of US airstrikes from March 15 to March 21, according to the Yemen Data Project. Since March 15, the US has bombed Yemen every day.

President Trump is signaling that the US airstrikes on Yemen could intensify, and the Houthis, officially known as Ansar Allah, are not backing down and continue to launch attacks on US warships and fire missiles at Israel. The Houthis have made clear that the only way they will stop attacks is if there is a ceasefire in Gaza and an end to the Israeli blockade on aid entering the Palestinian territory.

Author: Dave DeCamp

Dave DeCamp is the news editor of Antiwar.com, follow him on Twitter @decampdave.