The last Westerner in the Guantanamo Bay detention facility has been transfered out to a maximum security prison in his home country of Canada.
Omar Khadr was 15 years old when he was captured in Afghanistan in 2002. In 2010, he plead guilty under terms of a plea deal to throwing a grenade at US soldiers engaged in a firefight and killing one.
Khadr spent a decade in Guantanamo where he was severely abused, tortured, and deprived of due process. Now 26, he has been transfered to Ontario, Canada.
The fact that Khadr was subjected to coercive interrogation did not stop the military commissions courts finding him guilty. And as former constitutional law attorney Glenn Greenwald asked, “how can it possibly be that the US invades a foreign country, and then when people in that country — such as Khadr — fight back against the invading army, by attacking purely military targets via a purely military act…they become “war criminals,” or even Terrorists..?”
Last 5 posts by John Glaser
- Contra GOP, Obama Is Not Rolling Back Terror War - May 26th, 2013
- House Committee Prohibits Pentagon Base Closures - May 23rd, 2013
- Code Pink's Medea Benjamin Interrupts Obama Speech - May 23rd, 2013
- Obama Admits US Killed 4 Americans in Drone War - May 22nd, 2013
- CIA to Continue Waging Drone War in Pakistan - May 21st, 2013