The Obama administration’s failure to close the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba is part of what’s preventing substantive negotiations with the Afghan Taliban. The leaders of the insurgency against the U.S. war in Afghanistan have pushed a Gitmo prisoner release deal in exchange for a peace settlement that could end the war, but the Obama administration – especially after signing the latest defense bill into law – has refused such a proposal.
Last 5 posts by John Glaser
- Contra GOP, Obama Is Not Rolling Back Terror War - May 26th, 2013
- House Committee Prohibits Pentagon Base Closures - May 23rd, 2013
- Code Pink's Medea Benjamin Interrupts Obama Speech - May 23rd, 2013
- Obama Admits US Killed 4 Americans in Drone War - May 22nd, 2013
- CIA to Continue Waging Drone War in Pakistan - May 21st, 2013