Despite formerly handing over authority to his vice president,Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh still holds real power, issues presidential decrees, and engages with world leaders. The Yemeni security forces – who continue to kill, arrest, and suppress non-violent protesters – still answer to Saleh and his family. He is still the dictator. Meanwhile, the Obama administration applauds Yemen for its peaceful transfer of power. They hope to appear on the side of the people, instead of where they’ve always been: propping up dictators.
Last 5 posts by John Glaser
- Contra GOP, Obama Is Not Rolling Back Terror War - May 26th, 2013
- House Committee Prohibits Pentagon Base Closures - May 23rd, 2013
- Code Pink's Medea Benjamin Interrupts Obama Speech - May 23rd, 2013
- Obama Admits US Killed 4 Americans in Drone War - May 22nd, 2013
- CIA to Continue Waging Drone War in Pakistan - May 21st, 2013