The Bahraini government has announced that a retrial will take place for the 20 medical professionals recent sentenced to lengthy jail time for treating as patients protesters injured by harsh government crackdowns. The trial had come under severe international condemnation mainly from rights groups, as the Bahraini dictatorship equated giving medical treatment to protesters with “attempting to overthrow the ruling system” (the basis for the ultimate conviction). The decision will also moves the trial to a civilian court, allowing the charged doctors and nurses to remain free pending the new trial.
Last 5 posts by John Glaser
- Contra GOP, Obama Is Not Rolling Back Terror War - May 26th, 2013
- House Committee Prohibits Pentagon Base Closures - May 23rd, 2013
- Code Pink's Medea Benjamin Interrupts Obama Speech - May 23rd, 2013
- Obama Admits US Killed 4 Americans in Drone War - May 22nd, 2013
- CIA to Continue Waging Drone War in Pakistan - May 21st, 2013