After ten years, Afghan civilians are bearing the brunt of the US-led war. More than half of the population is under 18 and the overwhelming majority of them don’t understand the reasons behind the war and occupation. Afghanistan is one of the poorest countries in the world, its government is weak and corrupt, the countryside is permeated with armed thugs, the insurgency has grown to previously peaceful areas, and the military occupation is as brutal as ever. The first six months of 2011 were the deadliest for civilians since the start of the war, and signs are lacking that things will improve.
Last 5 posts by John Glaser
- Contra GOP, Obama Is Not Rolling Back Terror War - May 26th, 2013
- House Committee Prohibits Pentagon Base Closures - May 23rd, 2013
- Code Pink's Medea Benjamin Interrupts Obama Speech - May 23rd, 2013
- Obama Admits US Killed 4 Americans in Drone War - May 22nd, 2013
- CIA to Continue Waging Drone War in Pakistan - May 21st, 2013