The Bush administration buddied up with the dictatorship in Uzbekistan, which borders Afghanistan to the north, in order to place military bases there and provide supply routes to troops in Afghanistan. The fact that the leader of Uzbekistan, Islam Karimov, is a brutal dictator with a penchant for torture, never stopped the mountains of military aid sent there as a bribe for cooperation in the Afghan war. But now Obama is cozying up to Karimov more than ever, asking Congress for more guns and butter to send him.
Last 5 posts by John Glaser
- Contra GOP, Obama Is Not Rolling Back Terror War - May 26th, 2013
- House Committee Prohibits Pentagon Base Closures - May 23rd, 2013
- Code Pink's Medea Benjamin Interrupts Obama Speech - May 23rd, 2013
- Obama Admits US Killed 4 Americans in Drone War - May 22nd, 2013
- CIA to Continue Waging Drone War in Pakistan - May 21st, 2013