With a moderate Islamist party taking power in Tunisia, and another winning a considerable percentage of the seats in Egypt’s lower parliament, Islamist factions seem to be the biggest winners so far in the Arab Spring.
This is perhaps unsurprising, as traditionally when military dictatorships have banned opposition parties it has benefited religious factions which can operate under the auspices of the church (or in this case mosque).
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Announces New Sanctions Against Iran, Targeting Former Nuclear Scientists - March 22nd, 2019
- Trump's Golan Heights Move Broadly Condemned Worldwide - March 22nd, 2019
- White House Again Declares Victory Over ISIS, But Fighting Continues - March 22nd, 2019
- Pompeo: 'Possible' God Sent Trump to Be Savior of Israel - March 22nd, 2019
- UN Rights Council Accuses Israel of War Crimes in Gaza - March 22nd, 2019