President Trump’s threats to defund all foreign aid recipients who voted against the US at the UN General Assembly on the Jerusalem question appear to have had little to no impact, with the vote ending in an embarrassingly high 128-9 defeat for the US.
While Trump appeared earlier in the week to be salivating at “saving money” by sticking it to those who vote against him, the fact is that materially every major recipient of US aid, except obviously for Israel, either voted against the US, or in a few rare cases, abstained.
This included “yes” votes from the entire Muslim world, including major US aid recipients like Jordan, Egypt, and Afghanistan. Voting with the US were mostly sparsely populated micronations, along with Guatemala and Honduras.
It’s hard to imagine, then, that the US can give any impression of following through on Trump’s threat, since the reality of the situation is that this would mean virtually the end of US foreign aid in one fell swoop.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Senate Votes to Proceed on Yemen War Resolution - December 12th, 2018
- At Least 30 Killed in Attacks Across Afghanistan - December 11th, 2018
- Iraqi Warplanes Strike Two ISIS Buildings in Eastern Syria - December 11th, 2018
- Trump Offers to Intervene in Huawei Case to Close Trade Deal - December 11th, 2018
- State Dept: Ending Yemen War 'Sends a Wrong Message' - December 11th, 2018