China’s Foreign Ministry spurned US demands for them to do more with respect to North Korea, saying that they’ve been making “relentless efforts” to reach a settlement to resolve the North Korea dispute. They added that all nations should show restraint after North Korea’s ICBM test.
The US and China have long been divided on how best to approach the nuclear issue, with China urging diplomacy and the US expecting threats and sanctions to eventually scare North Korea into giving in. China made a move to back the US sanctions call earlier this year but cutting the coal trade with North Korea.
But the US keeps demanding more moves, and acting like China can force North Korea to do whatever it wants, with Trump insisting today that China could “put a heavy move on North Korea and end this nonsense once and for all.”
China, however, had hoped that with the coal sanctions they were going to get the US to also try diplomacy. This clearly was wishful thinking, however, as while they and South Korea have both repeatedly presented diplomatic proposals, the US has rejected all of them out of hand, and repeatedly mocked diplomacy as a “failed” path.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Despite Assurances, Legality of Trump Nuclear Strike May Not Matter - November 22nd, 2017
- Israeli Forces Demolish Brand New Family Home in East Jerusalem - November 22nd, 2017
- East Ukraine in Turmoil Amid Claimed 'Coup' in Luhansk - November 22nd, 2017
- US Asked for Saudis to Ease Yemen Blockade - November 22nd, 2017
- Local Afghan Leaders Protest Deadly US Strikes on 'Heroin Labs' - November 22nd, 2017