Israel’s Channel 2 news has quoted an unnamed “senior” US official ass having promised tat the US Embassy in Israel will be relocated by the end of President Trump’s term in office in 2020, but that it “will not happen immediately.”
The unnamed official also reported called for Israeli MPs to stop pressing for an immediate move of the US Embassy, saying such moves damage the chances of it happening. The embassy is in Tel Aviv at present, and Trump has promised to move it to Jerusalem.
The US Congress has mandated such a relocation too, and has since 1995, though the Jerusalem Embassy Act has allowed presidents to pass waivers to delay the move, waivers which have been in effect ever since, citing national security interests.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has suggested in recent comments that Trump is being careful about the embassy move for fear it would hurt his attempts at restarting the peace process. Major GOP donor Sheldon Adelson, who also heavily bankrolls the Israeli right-wing, is said to be “furious” at Tillerson for saying that.
The Israeli government has long demanded the embassy move, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu insisting that moving the embassy to Jerusalem, endorsing it as “eternally” part of Israel, would somehow improve the peace process by lowering Palestinian expectations.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018