With No Escape, Officials Say ISIS Putting Up Major Resistance
Iraqi forces continue to try to invade Mosul’s Old City district, and continue to struggle mightily at getting anywhere, as heavy resistance from ISIS forces, and heavy sniper fire leave them on their heels.
While the Iraqi government had previously predicted the whole city would be conquered by the end of last month, the reality is that the front line has scarcely moved in the last three weeks, and officials say ISIS is putting up “professional level” resistance.
The resistance is largely a function of the US-Iraqi tactics of surrounding the city to cut off any escape. While initially predicted to be demoralizing to ISIS forces it has done the opposite, and convinced them to fight to the death.
For the invasion of Mosul, that appears to leave the Iraqi troops, who were mostly never trained for urban combat, fighting one of the most intense urban combat scenes in years, and trudging along at a snail’s pace with no end in sight.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Attacks Syrian Army Base, Killing Three - April 23rd, 2017
- Al-Qaeda Leader: Syrian Jihadists Should Wage 'Patient' Guerilla War - April 23rd, 2017
- Tensions With North Korea Rise as Volleyball Game Ends - April 23rd, 2017
- Serbia Warns Albania Bid to Annex Kosovo Could Lead to War - April 23rd, 2017
- Jane's: ISIS Would Greatly Benefit From Assad's Downfall - April 23rd, 2017