239 Others Wounded in Airport Attack
Turkey is still struggling to come to grips with the massive terrorist attack against Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport yesterday, and is holding a national day of mourning, as the casualty toll continued to rise, finally settling at 42 killed and 239 wounded. 41 of the wounded remain in intensive care.
The attackers were armed with assault rifles, and all ultimately detonated their suicide vests, adding to the death toll. Footage of one of the attackers was released, showing him shooting, being shot to the ground, and detonating his vest.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed that Turkey would remain unified in the wake of the attack, issuing a statement in which he assured that the three attackers were all “going straight to hell” for what they had done.
Officials remain uncertain who carried out the attack, though US officials were quick to try to pin it on ISIS. Turkey has several enemies capable of such an attack, however, and Turkish officials have said they don’t want to rule anything out until they collect the evidence.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Estimates 50,000 ISIS Fighters Killed in Just Over Two Years - December 8th, 2016
- US Navy Refuses Pentagon Orders to Budget for Spending Cuts - December 8th, 2016
- ISIS Kills Dozens, Nears Syrian City of Palmyra - December 8th, 2016
- Human Rights Watch: US May Be Complicit in Saudi War Crimes in Yemen - December 8th, 2016
- No Evidence, But Pentagon Tries to Convince Turkey Iran Killed Their Troops - December 8th, 2016