After months of US officials blasting Russia for “unprofessional” military behavior, the Russian Defense Ministry today reported an incident in the Mediterranean Sea in which a US guided missile destroyer came dangerously close to a Russian frigate.
The destroyer, the USS Gravely, reportedly got within 200 feet of the Russian ship, and then crossed in front of the ship, which Russia says violated international obligations not to risk any collisions in international waters.
US officials, predictably, responded to this with a statement in which they claimed the Russian ship was behaving in an “unsafe and unprofessional” manner, and that it was the Russian ship that had gotten too close to the American one.
The US narrative isn’t necessarily credible, since the US usually issued such condemnations on or around the day they happened, and this incident was 11 days ago, with the US comments only coming immediately following Russia’s complaint.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018