After months of US officials blasting Russia for “unprofessional” military behavior, the Russian Defense Ministry today reported an incident in the Mediterranean Sea in which a US guided missile destroyer came dangerously close to a Russian frigate.
The destroyer, the USS Gravely, reportedly got within 200 feet of the Russian ship, and then crossed in front of the ship, which Russia says violated international obligations not to risk any collisions in international waters.
US officials, predictably, responded to this with a statement in which they claimed the Russian ship was behaving in an “unsafe and unprofessional” manner, and that it was the Russian ship that had gotten too close to the American one.
The US narrative isn’t necessarily credible, since the US usually issued such condemnations on or around the day they happened, and this incident was 11 days ago, with the US comments only coming immediately following Russia’s complaint.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Delegation Continues to Try to Explain Downing of Russian Plane in Syria - September 21st, 2018
- German Companies Continue to Withdraw From Iran - September 21st, 2018
- As Afghan Military Deaths Soar, Officials Struggle to Keep Toll Secret - September 21st, 2018
- Afghan Officials Will Meet Taliban in Moscow - September 21st, 2018
- Pompeo: US Preparing a 'Series of Actions' Against Venezuela - September 21st, 2018