According to Hezbollah-affiliated media outlets, the group attacked and destroyed an ISIS bunker in northeastern Lebanon today, firing rockets at the bunker to destroy it and killing ISIS fighters within.
The fighting took place in Zweitini, near Baalbek. ISIS and Jabhat al-Nusra have both established a presence on both sides of the Lebanon-Syria border, and have clashed with bboth the Lebanese military and Hezbollah.
Hezbollah MPs are pushing the Lebanese government to do more to oust the Islamist factions from the border region, but security forces have often struggled in those fights, and in the past they have taken Lebanese police captive in the region.
Hezbollah has more success fighting the groups, as indeed they are heavily involved in the Syrian Civil War as well, fighting on the side of the Assad government. Some in Lebanon believe that the primary reason ISIS and Nusra are so interested in crossing the border is to retaliate against Hezbollah for its involvement, and indeed it has fueled some sectarian unrest in northern Lebanon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- North Korea, South Korea Begin Historic Summit - April 26th, 2018
- Tortured in Detention on US Soil, Qatari Man Maintains His Innocence - April 25th, 2018
- Chemical Inspectors Again Visit Syria's Douma, Collect More Samples - April 25th, 2018
- Russia Says Syria's New Air Defense Will Be Delivered Soon - April 25th, 2018
- Europeans Prepare Side-Deal to Try to Save Iran Nuclear Pact - April 25th, 2018