At least 30 civilians, including nine children, were wounded today when a suicide truck boimber attacked Camp Baron, a heavily guarded residential compound that houses civilian contractors near the airport in the Afghan capital city of Kabul.
The Taliban claimed credit for the bombing, which police say saw the truck detonate at the armored gates outside the complex. Most of the injuries were from flying glass from the massive explosion, or trapped when nearby buildings collapsed.
The Taliban insisted that the claim of only 30 wounded was false, and that they’d killed “dozens of foreigners” in the attack, just the latest in a growing string of strikes against secure compounds across Kabul and Kandahar.
The Taliban has seemed increasingly eager to attack such secure areas to undercut the Afghan government’s claims to have the situation in hand, showing they can attack pretty much anywhere they want at any time.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018