At least 30 civilians, including nine children, were wounded today when a suicide truck boimber attacked Camp Baron, a heavily guarded residential compound that houses civilian contractors near the airport in the Afghan capital city of Kabul.
The Taliban claimed credit for the bombing, which police say saw the truck detonate at the armored gates outside the complex. Most of the injuries were from flying glass from the massive explosion, or trapped when nearby buildings collapsed.
The Taliban insisted that the claim of only 30 wounded was false, and that they’d killed “dozens of foreigners” in the attack, just the latest in a growing string of strikes against secure compounds across Kabul and Kandahar.
The Taliban has seemed increasingly eager to attack such secure areas to undercut the Afghan government’s claims to have the situation in hand, showing they can attack pretty much anywhere they want at any time.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017
- Trump's Pentagon to Spend Nearly $500 Million on Gitmo Construction - August 21st, 2017