In a newly released audio message directed at Syria and released on the Internet, al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri urged all Sunni Muslims in the nation, and particularly his supporters, to band together to confront the threat of war from various factions.
“The Americans, Russians, Iranians, Alawites, and Hezbollah are coordinating their war against us,” Zawahri said, saying it was time for the various Islamist factions to stop fighting amongst themselves and direct the fighting against all those factions.
Of course, those factions aren’t really all that unified in their respective wars against Islamist rebels. Notably many US analysts spun the statement, even though it mentioned Americans first on the list, as directed primarily at Russia, and vindication of American opposition to Russia’s involvement in the war.
Zawahri has made other audio statements in recent months suggesting they could join some sort of alliance, however temporary, with ISIS for the sake of fighting the various foreign nations involved in the Syrian Civil War.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017
- Trump's Pentagon to Spend Nearly $500 Million on Gitmo Construction - August 21st, 2017