A new video released by ISIS shows an organized public execution in the Syrian city of Palmyra, in which 25 Syrian soldiers were killed by young ISIS recruits in the ruins of the Palmyran amphitheater.
Though the video itself did not specify when the killings took place, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported a public execution of scores of troops by ISIS in Palmyra on May 27. This could be that incident.
The video shows the 25 soldiers being taken from the prison in Tadmur to the ruins in Palmyra, and hundreds of people attended the executions in the ancient oasis city. The loss of Tadmur and Palmyra was a big loss for the Syrian military.
ISIS has repeatedly issued videos showing executions and battles for propaganda purposes, and has parlayed such videos into considerable recruitment boosts for their organization internationally.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu: The Bible Proves Jerusalem Is Israel's Capital - December 11th, 2017
- ISIS Is Gone, But Iraq's Main Refinery Remains in Ruins - December 11th, 2017
- US-Backed Syrian Kurds, Iraqi Army Coordinate at Border - December 11th, 2017
- Iran FM Urges Europe to Preserve Nuclear Deal - December 11th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Urges Fighters to Disarm - December 11th, 2017