A new video released by ISIS shows an organized public execution in the Syrian city of Palmyra, in which 25 Syrian soldiers were killed by young ISIS recruits in the ruins of the Palmyran amphitheater.
Though the video itself did not specify when the killings took place, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported a public execution of scores of troops by ISIS in Palmyra on May 27. This could be that incident.
The video shows the 25 soldiers being taken from the prison in Tadmur to the ruins in Palmyra, and hundreds of people attended the executions in the ancient oasis city. The loss of Tadmur and Palmyra was a big loss for the Syrian military.
ISIS has repeatedly issued videos showing executions and battles for propaganda purposes, and has parlayed such videos into considerable recruitment boosts for their organization internationally.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump-Putin Summit Ends With Talk of Cooperation, Lawmakers Furious - July 16th, 2018
- Gaza Ceasefire Largely Holding After Weekend Flareup - July 15th, 2018
- US Officials Say Trainer Policies May Change After Afghan Insider Attack - July 15th, 2018
- Israel Attacks Airbase Outside Northern Syrian City of Aleppo - July 15th, 2018
- Trump Lowers Expectations for Russia Summit - July 15th, 2018