In a 61-59 vote entirely along coalition lines, Israel’s Knesset agreed Wednesday to waive a Basic Law limit on the number of cabinet ministers to 18.
Even though the majority coalition is the smallest majority possible, keeping everyone on board has required creating some new token ministries to placate smaller factions, any of whom could collapse the government.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has talked up expanding the cabinet to 20 already, but officials suggested even more could be added as Likud tries to keep a handle on everything.
Opposition figures, including Isaac Herzog, ridiculed the vote, saying Netanyahu is wasting hundreds of millions of shekels creating new ministries instead of working to solve existing problems.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Awash in US Arms, Vehicles, Complicate Afghan War - July 25th, 2017
- Blockading States Expand Qatar 'Terror' Blacklist - July 25th, 2017
- US SOCOM Chief Claims 60,000 to 70,000 ISIS Fighters Killed so Far - July 25th, 2017
- Trump Pledges Support for Lebanon's Anti-ISIS Push - July 25th, 2017
- Video Shows Six Minute Gunbattle in Which Jordan Guard Killed US Troops - July 25th, 2017