A multi-hour siege in the Afghan capital of Kabul has ended with 14 dead and six wounded, after gunmen stormed a guesthouse in the center of the city during the party being held for foreigners.
The attack took place ahead of a planned concert at the Park Palace guesthouse. There has been no claim of responsibility form the Taliban or other factions.
The suspicion immediately fell on the Taliban, however, with the attack coming amid their current spring offensive. The spring offensive has focused further north so far.
The nationality split of casualties has not yet been made public, but the US Embassy confirmed there was an American killed, and India confirmed a number of Indian casualties. Most of the guests were said to be from India or Turkey.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018