ISIS forces are once again trying to make inroads into Syrian territory today, attacking the town of al-Sukhnah in the central Homs Province and sparking a major battle which killed at least 50.
30 Syrian soldiers were killed in the fighting, along with 20 ISIS fighters. Over 100 fighters on both sides were also wounded.
Sukhnah is in the east of Homs, along the border with the Deir Ezzor Province, and is of strategic value because it is located on the main highway from Deir Ezzor Province to the city of Palmyra.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that ISIS forces took much of the town and the surrounding area, and that the clashes are continuing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017