ISIS forces are once again trying to make inroads into Syrian territory today, attacking the town of al-Sukhnah in the central Homs Province and sparking a major battle which killed at least 50.
30 Syrian soldiers were killed in the fighting, along with 20 ISIS fighters. Over 100 fighters on both sides were also wounded.
Sukhnah is in the east of Homs, along the border with the Deir Ezzor Province, and is of strategic value because it is located on the main highway from Deir Ezzor Province to the city of Palmyra.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that ISIS forces took much of the town and the surrounding area, and that the clashes are continuing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ex-CIA Chief: US Meddles in Foreign Elections, But 'Only for a Very Good Cause' - February 18th, 2018
- Amid Worsening Tensions, Western Diplomats See Russia as 'Indispensable Partner' - February 18th, 2018
- Turkey: Chemical Weapons Use Allegations 'Baseless' - February 18th, 2018
- US Pushes Europe to Commit to Changing Iran Nuclear Deal - February 18th, 2018
- South Korean President Says Olympics Have Lowered Tensions With North - February 18th, 2018