Jordanian officials have today confirmed that the Pentagon has begun training the first batch of “pre-screened” fighters which are going to be used to create a new, pro-US rebel faction for the Syrian war.
400 rebels are currently being trained, and officials have said they intend to eventually train up to 5,000 fighters, though they haven’t found nearly that many candidates.
It seems unlikely that this faction of fighters will be a significant player in Syria, and they are expected to be routed by ISIS almost immediately upon being sent back.
The Pentagon is intending to provide some non-specific support for the rebels in the future, though Defense Secretary Ash Carter reiterated that they’re not sure how much support there will actually be. Despite being unsure if the new faction will help or even if they’ll really back it, the Pentagon is still moving forward with the $500 million scheme.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalan Leader Seeks to Vote by Proxy to Avoid Arrest by Spain - January 18th, 2018
- Israeli Army Considers Seizing Palestinian Neighborhoods in Jerusalem - January 18th, 2018
- US Urges Turkey to Focus on ISIS, Not Attack Syrian Kurds - January 18th, 2018
- US to Withhold $45 Million in Pledged Palestinian Food Aid 'For Now' - January 18th, 2018
- Syria Threatens to Destroy Any Invading Turkish Warplanes - January 18th, 2018